Friday, June 26, 2020 at 8:30 p.m. | Charlotte Marriott City Center
Presented by the NCBA Minorities in the Profession Committee
Registration and Cost | Admission to this event is included at no additional cost with the NCBA 2020 Annual Meeting Registration. Register for the Annual Meeting here.
Non-members and NCBA members who are not otherwise attending the Annual Meeting are welcome to attend and register for the Legal Legends of Color Awards Celebration here.
- NCBA Member Rate - $15
- Non-Member Rate - $25
Sponsorship Information | If you would like to sponsor the Legal Legends of Color Awards Celebration, please complete and submit this Sponsor Intent Form.
Event Description | The Minorities in the Profession Committee of the North Carolina Bar Association has recognized and awarded Legal Legends of Color (LLOC) at the NCBA Annual Meeting since 2016. This year, MIP will celebrate its fifth installment of the Legal Legends of Color Awards at the 2020 NCBA Annual Meeting.
The Legal Legends of Color Awards Celebration began with an NCBA goal of increasing diverse member attendance at the Annual Meeting. MIP wanted to publicly recognize diverse attorneys of color and believed that the LLOC Award would help accomplish this goal. This event draws increasing numbers of attendees year after year and its selection of awardees is highly anticipated.
Previous LLOC honorees:
- 2016 - Former Chief Justice Henry E. Frye, James E. “Fergie” Ferguson II, Justice Cheri Lynn Beasley
- 2017 - Judge Albert Diaz, former Justice Patricia Timmons-Goodson, Professor Irving Joyner
- 2018 - Judge Shirley Fulton, Judge Paul Jones, Glenn Adams, Victor Boone
- 2019 - Professor Charles Daye, Janice Cole, former legislator H. M. “Mickey” Michaux Jr., Judge Sammie Chess, the late Julius Chambers
To pin down one reason for their impact on the profession is a challenge. Many of the honorees were firsts in the paths they chartered. They impacted the judiciary, the advancement of the civil rights movement, the legal academy, increased access to justice for North Carolinians, and served in local, state and federal government. Their impacts on the legal profession represent ceilings broken for all attorneys of color who follow in their footsteps. Many have benefited from their efforts, legal acumen, and lifelong contributions to the profession and its members.
The Legal Legends of Color Awards Celebration demonstrates the North Carolina Bar Association’s commitment to embrace diversity and inclusion in the legal profession. This event offers an opportunity to not only honor diverse members of our Bar Association, but to also celebrate their accomplishments, together.
2020 Legal Legends have already been selected and will be announced soon. To nominate a 2021 Legal Legend of Color please click here.
Award nominees must:
- be a lawyer of color practicing (or practiced most recently) in North Carolina for at least 15 years; and
- have a legal career with a significant impact in North Carolina; and
- demonstrate a high level of service to his/her local community and/or on an statewide basis; and
- be a member in good standing of the North Carolina State Bar (active or inactive). Each of the LLOC honorees to date have had extremely impactful careers on other attorneys and the broader North Carolina state.